Vehicle Idling Action is a London-wide behaviour change campaign which is helping to reduce localised air pollution caused by motorists who leave their engines running when parked.
Idling Action Events will be taking place in 16 local authorities, with teams of volunteers, local authority and project staff working to educate both motorists and pedestrians. In pairs we hit the streets to engage with idling drivers and passersby about the effects of idling on local air quality. Our approach is to invite drivers to join our campaign and switch off their engines when parked. When approached in a friendly and non-judgemental way, we find that over 80% of drivers switch off when asked by our volunteers, and many pledge to give up the idling habit for good.
Whether you’re a concerned local citizen or work at a local business, if you’d like to get involved, we’d like to hear from you. Please check out our volunteer page for more information about volunteering or get in touch using this form.
And if you are a business in one of the 16 local authorities and would like to support the project, please see our businesses page for further information about how you too can get involved.
The 16 local authorities involved in the project are:
- London Borough of Camden
- City of London Corporation
- London Borough of Croydon
- London Borough of Enfield
- Royal Borough of Greenwich
- London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham
- London Borough of Harrow
- London Borough of Islington
- Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
- London Borough of Lambeth
- London Borough of Lewisham
- London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames
- London Borough of Southwark
- London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- London Borough of Waltham Forest
- London Borough of Wandsworth
This programme of idling action days is being delivered by the Vehicle Idling Action Partnership consisting of Green Gumption and Cool World Consulting. The campaign is funded by the Mayor’s Air Quality Fund.